The Story So Far…
The Story So Far
The Modeling Chemistry curriculum is based upon developing models to explain matter, its properties, and interactions. As students develop a more robust model, their “story” changes. This post will include the “Story So Far” as it is developed, unit by unit. (I am starting by posting just Unit 1 and will continue to add.)
Unit 1 Physical Properties of Matter
- Everything is made up of particles.
- Particles have mass.
- Volume is the amount of space something takes up.
- Density is a relationship between mass and volume. (the slope on a mass vs volume graph)
- In a closed system, if there’s a change, mass stays the same. (Law of Conservation of Mass)
- The system is what we are studying. The surroundings are the rest.
- Solids – particles are close together (more dense than liquids)
- Liquids – particles are slightly less close (more dense than gases)
- Gases – particle are very spread out (very low density)